2021 Enrollment Guidelines of HAITC
HNU-ASU Joint International Tourism College, Hainan University (HAITC) is an international, innovative and interdisciplinary college co-established by Hainan University (HNU) and Arizona State University (ASU), and is based on the needs to build Hainan province into a smart international island and develop domestic and foreign tourism.
As a school affiliated with HNU, HAITC is the province’s first and only Sino-foreign cooperative institution approved by the Ministry of Education of China in 2017. Combining the advantages of HNU and ASU, the college has introduced international cutting-edge tourism education concepts and set three undergraduate majors, including hotel management, human geography and urban and rural planning, and public administration.
Bilingual education and the training mode of “dual degree”, “dual status” and “4+0” have been adopted. HAITC strives to cultivate management talents with global vision and international competitiveness in tourism and related fields.
ASU is located in Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, in the United States. It is a public world-class research university. ASU has ranked first among “the Most Innovative Universities” by USNEWS for six consecutive years, from 2015 to 2020.
ASU attaches great importance to the cutting-edge and interdisciplinary nature of subjects. Its tourism programs focus on worldwide issues in relative fields, including tourism and environmentally sustainable development.
In the CWUR World University Rankings 2018, its hotel, leisure, sports and tourism majors ranked second in the United States and seventh in the World. ASU also places a high value on cooperation with enterprises and cultivation of students’ social communication skills.
In the QS World University Rankings 2020, it ranked third in the index of “building a high quality connection between potential employers and students”, ahead of Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Princeton University.
In terms of school-enterprise cooperation, ASU ranked 15th in the world, ahead of Cornell University and the University of California Los Angeles. It is also a member of the Chinese Association of American Universities, and is listed as one of the preferred universities by Chinese enterprises.
The association provides graduates with exclusive job opportunities and a strong professional network in China, and works closely with companies which are recruiting excellent graduates with overseas learning experience, including Alibaba, Microsoft, ByteDance, PwC and many more.
Characteristics and advantages
1. “Double degree” education mode: Graduates will obtain degree certificates from HNU and ASU.
2. Teaching resources: Students will register in both HNU and ASU after enrollment. They will obtain student status at both universities. The program will adopt bilingual teaching and a small-sized class system. Students will be provided with high-quality education and scientific research resources from ASU headquarters.
3. Faculty: One-third of the faculty is from ASU, the other comes from HNU and is recruited globally. Professional courses are taught in English, and the American teaching mode is also used. The faculty also includes international English-language teaching teams.
4. Academic atmosphere: The college has a relatively independent teaching space and an international academic atmosphere. It adopts student-centered teaching and management modes. The college has also set up a working mechanism for undergraduates to serve as research assistants for professors, and international students are also included in the audition list.
5. Preferential expenses: The four-year learning expenses of this program are only one quarter of the expenses required for studying at the American headquarters. Scholarships are also available for excellent students.
6. International exchanges: The college offers study tours (at own expense), including visits to well-known American companies and universities. The international faculty and management team will provide students with resources and assistance to further their studies at prestigious overseas universities and enhance their global competitiveness.
7. “4+0” mode: Studying at the American headquarters during the period of study will not be a requisite for obtaining a foreign degree. However, students who meet relevant requirements are allowed to choose to go to ASU for exchanges from the third academic year (the exchange periods range from one to four semesters). The tuition fee will be charged according to ASU standards.
8. Further learning opportunities: The college provides double degree and foreign single degree Master’s programs for students to continue their studies.
The basic length of study for undergraduate students will be four years; the longest extended length of study shall not exceed two years.
Students who meet the graduation requirements will be awarded a graduation certificate and a bachelor’s degree certificate from HNU and a bachelor’s degree certificate from ASU.
1. Only candidates that apply for this program will be admitted, and their English test results of the college entrance examination should reach the minimum threshold of 70 percent. The college will lower admission standards for suitable candidates based on regulations of the province in which they are located when the enrolment is below expectations.
2. After enrolment, students are not allowed to transfer to a major set by colleges other than HAITC.
3. Students shall achieve a score of 6.0 in the IELTS examination (or TOEFL 61 / PTE 53) or complete the ASU English assessment online course before the second year of their studies.
Fees and charges
Tuition: 60,000 yuan (($9,263.83)) per academic year;
Accommodation fee: 1,200 yuan per academic year (a quad dormitory);
Textbook fee: The college will charge 1,200 yuan in advance. Charges will be cleared at the end of the academic year. Any excess payments shall be refunded and deficiencies shall be repaid.
Freshmen must pay all fees for the year up front before registering.
Official website: http://haitc.hainanu.edu.cn/
Tel: +86-898-66272591, 66257010, 66272805
Address: HNU-ASU Joint International Tourism College, HNU, No 58 Renmin road, Meilan district, Haikou, Hainan province (Room 416 and Room 206, Tin Ka Ping Building, zip code: 570228)
Hotel Management (Tourism Development and Management)
The hotel management program introduces and integrates the curriculum, faculty team and teaching resources of the tourism development and management major in AUS. It aims to cultivate high-quality international talents with a deep understanding of international operations and the management rules of tourism and the catering industry. Graduates will possess a global vision, innovative spirit and practical abilities.
Human Geography and Urban-Rural Planning (Parks and Recreation Management)
The human geography and urban-rural planning program introduces and integrates the curriculum, faculty team and teaching resources of the parks and recreation management major in AUS. It aims to cultivate high-quality international talents with a deep understanding of domestic and foreign tourism planning, national park management and heritage management. Graduates will possess a global vision, innovative spirit and practical abilities.
Public Administration (Public Services and Public Policy).
The public administration program introduces and integrates the curriculum, faculty team and teaching resources of the public service and public policy major in AUS. It aims to cultivate high-quality international talents with a deep understanding of public services and tourism policy formulation. Graduates will possess a global vision, innovative spirit and practical abilities.
To learn more about the “Q&A of HAITC Enrollment for Undergraduate Students in 2021”, please click to visit https://haitc.hainanu.edu.cn/info/1023/1631.htm.